Monday, 5 July 2010

The Steep Approach to Garbadale by Iain Banks

He is good. But I prefer the Sci-Fi of Iain M Banks.

Beautifully written, insightful, by turns amusing and sickening.

I guess I feel a bit disappointed as I think that I should have guessed the plot twist long before I did. Shouldn't that make me more appreciative of the writers craft in managing to surprise me? Well I think he over did it. I feel like I have fallen for a silly street trader rather than an elegant piece of slight of hand. I was too easy for him and somehow that left me annoyed with myself as well as him.

I think all of this says more about me than it does the author. Silly, moody me.

He still manages to bring the grotesqueness of reality into sharp focus and this is a skill for which he is justly revered.

Still prefer the Sci-Fi though. Sulk.

3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment