Sunday, 8 November 2009

Darwin: A Life in Science by Michael White & John Gribbin


I have read so many potted Darwin biographies in the press, especially in this multi anniversary year for Darwin, that I thought I ought to at least attempt to do the job properly and read a full biography as well.

What attracted me to this one was the fact that it covers off the science as well as the scientists, and the fact that I knew I enjoyed John Gribbin's work already (he is a co-author).

This book was well worth the effort.  The shortened biographies in the press tend to exist just to hang someones particular brand of politics on to the man but this book is comprehensive enough to avoid that altogether.

One of the greatest lives in science is revealed in all it's vulnerable humanity.

Enjoyable, yet still a useful source for future reference with a decent index and further reading list.

Four out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment