Wednesday, 8 October 2008

The Philosophy Gym: 25 Short Adventures in Thinking by Stephen Law


Much to my surprise I really enjoyed this book.

My low expectation stem purely from my prior experience of discussing philosophy and the little I have read.

Stephen Law has a knack of simply talking to you in everyday language and avoiding much of the technical language and esoteric short cuts that perviously made philosophy so opaque to me.

Don't get too excited though - the book serves as a basic introduction to various simple topics in philosophy and I am sure that further exploration will require more effort. This book though seemed effortless and entertaining whilst really making you think at the same time.

We get 25 topics to work through methodically or dip into now and again with each one taking no more than perhaps 10 to 20 minutes to get your head around.

Topics range from vegetarianism to gay sex, creationism, morality and more.

I particularly recommend this book to those who especially think they don't want to bother.

Four out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment