Wednesday, 8 October 2008

The Hedgehog, the Fox and the Magister's Pox: Mending and Minding the Misconcevied Gap Between Science and the Humanities by Stephen Jay Gould


OK it's my fault - I just put this on my list as "another one of those oddly titled collections of his essays". It isn't.

This is the last book he wrote before he died and indeed he did not finish editing it in to shape. It is a book discussing the perceived gap between science and the humanities using some of the very old books in his personal collection as an illustration and evidence in favour of his points.

Gould is a good writer but this is both unfinished and rather a change of subject and certainly much drier and less interesting than his scientific writing.

I did enjoy it none the less and found the details of religious censorship fascinating.

So I'm not telling you to avoid it - just to be aware of just what this book is before you buy it.

Two and a half out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment