Tuesday, 8 April 2008

Almost Like a Whale: The 'Origin of Species' Updated by Steve Jones



I don't do it very often so this is very special - a five star rating for a book.

Steve Jones sets out to update Darwin's Origin with modern evidence and examples. He always reminds me of a cheeky schoolboy chortling through life having a wonderful time. He gives me the same impression with this book, whilst at the same time not endangering the respect we have for his knowledge of biology.

I have heard him describe his own knowledge of biology as "extremely wide and incredibly shallow." In this book it appears both wide and deep. Tales are told with assurance, simplicity and good humour.

No prior knowledge is necessary so this can act as a great introduction to this huge subject.

A cracking good read.

5 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. very cool. in my wish list now! (damn how that thing grows)!

    ReplyDelete