Wednesday, 20 February 2008

Next by Michael Crichton


At least it didn't take long to read.

I thought his Jurassic Park was good and Congo as well, so when this one appeared at the school fete for a quid I thought I would give it a go.

Yes I know the whole point is to take science and tech and just twist it a bit, enough to scare and or enlighten and or warn us, but this book goes too far.

He simply makes up too much stuff and hence the usual "pacey read and jumbled plot lines gradually merging together" is left standing open to view like the standardised skeleton it actually is, bereft of the flesh of "entertainment".

Interestingly one of the books in the bibliography is also on my too read shelf so I will turn to that next. (Genome by Matt Ridley)

Don't spend more than 50p on this one.

2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment