Wednesday, 5 September 2007

The Truth About Science

H/T to Genomicron;

Guide to Translating Scientific
Papers Into Plain English


Statement => Really means

It has long been known... =>I haven't bothered to look up the reference.

It is thought that... =>I think so.

It is generally thought that... =>A couple of other guys think so, too.

It is not unreasonable to assume... =>If you believe this, you'll believe anything.

Of great theoretical importance... =>I find it interesting.

Of great practical importance... =>I can get some good mileage out of it.

Typical results are shown. =>The best results are shown.

Three samples were chosen for further study. =>The others didn't make sense, so we ignored them.


The second sample was not used=>I dropped it on the floor.

Results obtained using the second sample must be interpreted with caution. =>I dropped it on the floor, but managed to scoop most of it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment