Saturday, 18 August 2007

Pandora’s Star by Peter F. Hamilton


This is a long read - nearly 900 hundred pages. In my opinion it is well worth the effort. Pandora’s Star is a detailed tale on the interstellar and galactic scale. The two main sci-fi twists (amongst many) are the main mode of transport for the Human Commonwealth being via wormholes direct from planet to planet and secondly a drastic extension of human lifetimes. These factors are developed into a fascinating and rich history of the economic political and social development of mankind. Throw in some nasty aliens, a bit of new age mysticism and you have a rip roaring thriller of a book.

For me its just a bit too long and the story could have been told more quickly. Having said that I enjoyed it a lot and in fact this is the second time I have read it. This book is part one of two with the next book Judas Unchained on sale now. I just read this one again now because I am hoping to get part two soon.

Hamilton is easy to read and does not let the hard sci-fi get in the way of character development and action.

My rating is 3.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment