Saturday, 18 August 2007

The Little Book of Philosophy by Andre Comte-Sponville


This is quick tour of a dozen philosophical subjects with brief summaries of the main thoughts had by thinkers so far.

Whilst the tone and language are straightforward and aimed at non philosophers (do they exist?) the content is straight out of my prejudiced idea of philosophy. Logical statements made about unproven premises resulting in some weird and wonderful conclusions.

I enjoyed the bits on God, Atheism and freedom partly because I am interested in the subjects and have heard some of the theorems and thought referred to in wider contexts before. It was good to find out about these areas in a little more detail. The rest of the book left me a little cold mainly I think because I struggle to see the practical application of the thoughts expressed even as a "philosophy of life".

Brief and fairly painless. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment