Saturday, 18 August 2007

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark… by Carl Sagan



I left it a few days after finishing this book before writing this review because I thought there was a danger that I would go a bit over the top. I don't think that the few days grace have done anything other than make me realise this is one of the best books I have ever read.

This is even more surprising when I was told by many people that I would think precisely this, bearing mind what sort of an awkward and contrary bugger I am.

This is essentially a collection of essays setting down the authors views on the human condition and in particular our proclivity for self deception. Fascinating stuff from a man opted into official government committees on UFO's, a renowned space scientist at the centre of the Mars landings and an inspiration to millions.

Just as applicable to today's world as it was when published ten years ago.

This book should be on the to read list of anyone who is human and who thinks humans are interesting.

I don't rate things five stars on principle. I hope to live a good few more years yet and reserve the right to re-rate my books on my eightieth birthday. At that point with a lot more reading under my belt the odd five star may sneak in. It is therefore only my hopes for longevity which prevent me giving this book five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment