Friday, 17 August 2007

Cosmos by Carl Sagan


I can remember watching the TV series when it was first shown on UK TV and being awe-struck. It was around the time of the Voyager or was it Pioneer pictures of the outer solar system and really made me think about life the universe and everything.

I think I saw the last two episodes on a tiny black and white set, equipped with a very poor ariel, in the kitchen of a caravan in Cornwall, surrounded by snoring relatives, nearly all of whom are now dead BTW. Tempus Fugit.

I got the book for Xmas and it still has my name and address and a very short phone number written inside the cover.

I was slightly apprehensive about re-reading this book after all these years just in case it disappointed me thanks to a combination of 30 years of scientific progress and the golden light of memory.

No a bit of it, still a wonderfully approachable introduction to Life the Universe and Everything, told with respect for the readers intelligence and a sense of the awe and sheer enjoyment that can be had in understanding the world we live in which I find infectious. Not many books can include a reference to a mathematical proof as an appendix which actually provides enjoyment.

I heartily recommend this book, especially to 10 to 14 year olds.

4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment