Saturday, 18 August 2007

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger



Well having heard so much about this book - I must admit it left me a little cold. Yes a good character study of teenage angst and rebellion, but not much else.

I can certainly remember having thought processes similar to Holden Caulfield's when I was his age. A wash of hormones and emotions mixing with new situations and a realisation that responsibility for yourself was inevitable.

I do think that this is portrayed well, but not in a wonderfully sophisticated analysis as I have read in some reviews. I don't blame the author for this, I think that teenage angst and rebellion is usually not very sophisticated - mine certainly wasn't and to be an honest reviewer I must draw upon this.

Holden demonstrates that at this time of life people have so much going on internally that they find it difficult to focus on the external - even to the extent of ignoring their own interests in the near future.

So I suppose that if I think that the book shows this process in action then it does deserve some praise - I however like more in the way of character and plot development or at least some action in my fiction.

3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment