Sunday, 6 May 2007

Mathematics Minus Fear by Lawrence Potter


OK its my own fault - should have done more of that judging a book by it cover thing.

Well written in a quirky kind of way. This book uses a metaphor of the universal high school maths class, complete with smart alec girl, boy at the back struggling to keep up and socially inadequate teacher, to walk us through the typical high school maths syllabus from around the world.

This time around the author stops to explain the why's and wherefores behind each mini topic with historical perspective and chat through examples to help us along.

I was expecting more advanced stuff - and should ahve read the back cover or should even have checked the contents page for myself - silly me.

If the content described is what you are after then this is a decent book.

My rating as always is purely personal.

2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment